Contributors Section 1 - Nasal Cavity
1. Fungal Sinusitis; Tobias E. Rodriguez, Jack R. Harkema, and Gary B. Huffnagle Section 2 - Oral Cavity
2. Innate Defense Mechanisms in Oral Candidiasis; Anna Dongari-Bagtzoglou
3. Humoral Factors in the Protection of the Oral Cavity against Candidiasis; Stephen J. Challacombe, Durdana Rahman, Mukesh Mistry, and Julian A. Naglik
4. Oral Candidiasis: Clinical Manifestations and Cellular Adaptive Host Responses; Robert B. Ashman and Camile S. Farah Section 3 - Lungs
5. The Innate and Adaptive Immune Response to Pulmonary Histoplasma capsulatum Infection; George S. Deepe, Jr.
6. Lung Immunity to Blastomyces dermatitidis Infection; Marcel Wüthrich and Bruce S. Klein
7. Innate Immunity in the Lungs to Cryptococcal Infection; Kazuyoshi Kawakami
8. Pulmonary Cell-Mediated Immunity (CMI) to Cryptococcus neoformans; Dennis M. Lindell and Gary B. Huffnagle
9. Antibody-Mediated Immunity to Fungi in the Lungs; Marta Feldmesser and Arturo Casadevall
10. Pulmonary Paracoccidioidomycosis; Vera L.G. Calich and Maria H.S.L. Blotta
11. The Innate and Acquired Pulmonary Immune Response to Aspergillus fumigatus; Jane M. Schuh and Cory M. Hogaboam
12. Fungal Hypersensitivity in the Lungs; Viswanath P. Kurup and Alan P. Knutsen
13. Immunology of Pulmonary Pneumocystis Infection: Cell-Mediated Immunity; Judd E. Shellito and James M. Beck
14. Antibody-Mediated Immunity to Pneumocystis in the Lungs; Beth A. Garvy and Francis Gigliotti Section 4 - Gastrointestinal Tract
15. Innate and Adaptive Immunity against Candida species infections in the Gastrointestinal Tract; Robert D. Wagner Section 5 - Vaginal Tract
16. Innate and Adaptive Cell-Mediated Immunity against Vaginal Candidiasis; Paul L. Fidel Jr.
17. The Role of Humoral Immunity against Vaginal Candida Infection; Flavia De Bernardis, Maria Boccanera, and AntonioCassone Section 6 - Blood
18. Role of Complement in Fungal Infections; Thomas R. Kozel
19. Innate and Adaptive Immunity to Systemic Candida albicans Infection; Luigina Romani
20. Interactions of Fungi with Endothellal Cells; Scott G. Filler and Donald C. Sheppard Section 7 - Skin
21. Immunology of Cutaneous Candidiasis; Srividya Srinivasan, David K. Wagner, and Peter S. Sohnle
22. Immune Surveillance against Dermatophyte Infection; Tetsuya Koga
23. Immune Surveillance against Sporothrix schenckii infection; Takeshi Uenotsuchi, Tetsuo Matsuda, Masutaka Furue, and Tetsuya Koga Section 8 - Central Nervous System
24. Innate and Acquired Immunity in Cryptococcus neoformans Infections of the Central Nervous System; Kent Buchanan
A comprehensive review of all known immune mechanisms for medically important fungal pathogens from the organ perspectives of the human body. This authoritative guide is organized by organ system, as one particular fungus can have several different effects.
Fungal Immunology, an expanding field of research, studies the interaction between fungi and the immune system. Modulated immunity as well as evasive mechanisms played by fungi all contribute to the chronicity and reoccurence of fungal infections. Hypersensitivity to various fungal elements plays a major role in the pathogenesis of many diseases.