Preface to the second edition xiii
1 Pediatric oral health care: the perspectives 1
Sven Poulsen and Göran Koch
2 Growth and pubertal development 5
Anders Juul, Sven Kreiborg and Katharina M. Main
3 Child and adolescent psychological development 17
Anders G. Broberg and Gunilla Klingberg
4 Dental fear and behavior management problems 32
Gunilla Klingberg, Magne Raadal and Kristina Arnrup
5 Pain, pain control, and sedation 44
Magne Raadal, Stefan Lundeberg and Gro Haukali
6 Dental caries in children and adolescents 61
Marit Slattelid Skeie, Lill-Kari Wendt and Sven Poulsen
7 Case history and clinical examination 71
Sven Poulsen and Lars Matsson
8 Radiographic examination and diagnosis 79
Hanne Hintze and Ivar Espelid
9 Caries prevention 91
Göran Koch, Sven Poulsen and Svante Twetman
10 Diagnosis and management of dental caries 110
Ingegerd Mejàre, Magne Raadal and Ivar Espelid
11 Dental erosion 141
Ann-Katrin Johansson, Göran Koch and Sven Poulsen
12 Pedodontic endodontics 153
13 Periodontal conditions 166
Bengt Sjödin and Lars Matsson
14 Tooth development and disturbances in number and shape of teeth 183
Göran Koch, Irma Thesleff and Sven Kreiborg
15 Eruption and shedding of teeth 197
Göran Koch, Sven Kreiborg and Jens O. Andreasen
16 Occlusal development, preventive, and interceptive orthodontics 212
Jüri Kurol and Bengt Mohlin
17 Developmental defects of the dental hard tissues and their treatment 233
Ivar Espelid, Dorte Haubek and Birgitta Jälevik
18 Traumatic injuries: examination, diagnosis, and immediate care 264
Ingeborg Jacobsen and Jens O. Andreasen
19 Traumatic injuries: follow-up and long-term prognosis 284
Jens O. Andreasen and Ingeborg Jacobsen
20 Oral mucous lesions and minor oral surgery 298
21 Temporomandibular disorders 308
Tomas Magnusson and Martti Helkimo
22 Children with chronic health conditions: implications for oral health 315
Göran Dahllöf and Luc Martens
23 Dental care for the child and adolescent with disabilities 331
June Nunn and Gunilla Klingberg
Über den Autor
Göran Koch is a Professor in Paediatric Dentistry at the Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden, and at the Faculty of Odontology, Göteborg, Sweden.
Sven Poulsen is a Professor in the Department of Community Oral Health and Pediatric Dentistry at the Institute of Odontology, University of Aarhus, Denmark.
* Chapter 1. Pediatric oral health care - the perspectives. S. Poulsen, G. Koch.
* Chapter 2. Growth and Pubertal Development. A. Juul, S Kreiborg, K. M. Main.
* Chapter 3. Child and Adolescent Psychological Development. A. G. Broberg, G. Klingberg).
* Chapter 4. Dental fear and behavior management problems. G. Klingberg, M. Raadal, K. Arnrup.
* Chapter 5. Pain, pain control and sedation. M. Raadal, S. Lundeberg, G. Haukali.
* Chapter 6. Dental caries in children and adolescents. M. S. Skeie, L.-K. Wendt, S. Poulsen.
* Chapter 7. Case history and clinical examination. S. Poulsen, L. Matsson.
* Chapter 8. Radiographic examination and diagnosis. H. Hintze, I. Espelid.
* Chapter 9. Caries Prevention. G. Koch, S. Poulsen, S. Twetman.
* Chapter 10. Diagnosis and management of dental caries. I Meàre, M. Raadal, I. Espelid.
* Chapter 11. Dental erosion. A.-K. Johansson, G. Koch, S. Poulsen.
* Chapter 12. Pedodontic endodontics. U. Schröder.
* Chapter 13. Periodontal conditions. B. Sjödin, L. Matsson.
* Chapter 14. Tooth development and disturbances in number and shape of teeth. G. Koch, I. Thesleff, S. Kreiborg.
* Chapter 15. Eruption and shedding of teeth. G. Koch, S. Kreiborg, J. O. Andreasen.
* Chapter 16. Occlusal development, preventive and interceptive orthodontics. J. Kurol, B. Mohlin.
* Chapter 17. Developmental defects of the dental hard tissues and their treatment. I. Espelid, D. Haubek, B. Jälevik.
* Chapter 18. Traumatic Injuries - examination, diagnosis and immediate care.I. Jacobsen, J. O. Andreasen.
* Chapter 19. Traumatic Injuries - follow-up and long-term prognosis. J. O. Andreasen, I. Jacobsen.
* Chapter 20. Oral mucous lesions and minor oral surgery. G. Koch.
* Chapter 21. Temporomandibular disorders. T. Magnusson, M. Helkimo.
* Chapter 22. Children with chronic health conditions - implications for oral health. G. Dahllöf, Luc Martens.
* Chapter 23. Dental care for the child and adolescent with disabilities. J. Nunn, G. Klingberg
The second edition of Pediatric Dentistry: A Clinical Approach offers a fully revised and updated review of pediatric dentistry. This important text covers the full spectrum of the subject, basing itself in the clinical practice of the dental treatment of children and adolescents and providing a special emphasis on evidence-based oral health care for young people. Pediatric Dentistry provides comprehensive coverage of all aspects of treatment for children, ranging from health promotion and prevention to strategies for systematic and comprehensive oral care.
Pediatric Dentistry: A Clinical Approach follows a logical approach, covering major dental and oral diseases and their diagnosis and management in children and adolescents, including caries, periodontal and endodontic conditions, and TMJ disorders. The book also discusses a number of dental and oral conditions that relate more directly to childhood, such as dental erosion, traumatic injuries to the teeth, pain control, and treatment of physically and mentally disabled children. Topics such as dental, physical, intellectual and emotional development are also thoroughly reviewed.
Pediatric Dentistry will provide students of dentistry, as well as pediatric dentists and dentists involved in the treatment of young patients, with a uniquely clear, comprehensive, and clinical approach to the dental treatment of children and adolescents.