From the reviews
"I learned a great deal from reading this book. Granted, they were things I was exposed to while I was in veterinary school, but not concepts or areas of thought that I use on a daily basis as a veterinary surgeon, although I probably should. The subjects covered could be considered peripheral to clinical work, but welfare may equally be argued to be a primary tenet of our clinical care. ...The book would be of great use to veterinary surgeons, veterinary students, researchers and knowledgeable horse owners. ...This is not a lightweight book and consequently requires careful reading, but to do so will reward the reader with a much better understanding of what makes horses "tick" and how we have manipulated their behaviour and welfare largely to suit our needs." (Jessica Kidd in The Veterinary Record, November 2002)
1. Horse Behaviour: Evolution, Domestication and Feralisation; D. Goodwin.
2. Clinical Problems Associated with the Intensive Management of Performance Horses; R.A. Casey.
3. Nutrition and Welfare; N. Davidson, P. Harris.
4. Housing, Management and Welfare; D.S. Mills, A. Clarke.
5. Stereotype Behaviour in the Stabled Horse: Causes, Effects and Prevention Without; J. Cooper, P. McGreevy.
6. The Effects of Transportation on the Welfare of Horses; N. Waran, et al.
7. Training Methods and Horse Welfare; N. Waran, et al.
8. Welfare of the Racehorse during Exercise Training and Racing; D.L. Evans.
9. Specific Welfare Problems Associated with Working Horses; R.T. Wilson.
This book describes the development of horse behaviour, and the way in which the management of horses today affects their welfare. Horses for sport, companionship and work are considered and ways of improving their welfare by better training and management is described. The book assesses welfare, nutrition, and behaviour problems with horses. The authors include internationally-recognised scientists from Britain, Ireland, USA and Australia.
Written by experts on the field
Focuses on the major issues affecting the welfare of horses
Assesses welfare, nutrition, behaviour problems with horses