Foreword by Peter Fensham. Foreword by Derek Hodson. Acknowledgements.
2. The assessment reform.
3. Teachers' enactment of the reform.
4. Alan-the students' companion.
5. Bob-the teacher with a mission.
6. Carl-the teacher committed to all-round education.
7. Dawn-the evolving teacher.
8. Eddy-the money-hunter.
9. Hugo-the examiner of a driving test.
10. Ivor-the police fears to be scolded by his superior.
11. John-the examination-driven teacher.
12. Looking across the cases-a preliminary analysis.
13. Three views of fairness.
14. Teacher professionalism and policy interpretation.
15. Ways of seeing and ways of enacting.
Appendix A: A study transversing three bodies of literature.
Appendix B: Reflecting on the research methodology.