* Introduction: Assessing Consequences of Industrialization; R.O. Rasmussen, N. Koroleva.
* I: Large Scale Environmental Dynamics. Large Scale Environmental Dynamics; C. Nellemann, I. Vistnes. CO2-Release from Permafrost Soils in Relation to Temperature Changes; M. Bölter, R. Möller, W. Müller-Lupp. The Kara-Barents Sea Shelf and Its Provinces; A.A. Predovsky, V.V. Lyubtsov. Industrial Development and Wildlife in Arctic Ecosystems; D.R. Klein, M. Magomedova. Integrated Approach for the Assessment of Polluted Areas; E. Ruth, M. Kharytonov. Methodologies for Remote Sensing of the Environmental Impacts of Industrial Activity in the Arctic and Subarctic; W.G. Rees, O. Rigina. Oil and Gas Development in the North Sea; M.L. Tasker. Forest Management and Biodiversity; A. Sippola. Radioecological Assessment of Forest Ecosystems after Nuclear Accidents; A. Dvornik. Environment and Security; C. Nellemann, I. Vistnes, H. Ahlenius, B.P. Kaltenborn, M. Magomedova, O. Udovyk.
* II: Local Environmental Dynamics. Local Environmental Dynamics; B.C. Forbes. Long-Term Tundra Disturbances: Successful Colonizers; G.P. Kershaw. Long-Term Evaluation of Methods for Rehabilitation of Lands Disturbed by Industrial Development in the Arctic; M.T. Jorgenson, J.G. Kidd, T.C. Carter, S. Bishop, C.H. Racine. Ecological Approach to Rehabilitation of Lands Subjected to Air Pollution in the Kola Peninsula; N. Lukina, V. Nikonov. Vegetation Responses to Anthropogenic Disturbance; O.I. Sumina, B.C. Forbes. Restoration and Recultivation; I.B. Archegova. Succession on Disturbed Habitats; N.E. Korolova. Vegetation Cover Monitoring; V.Yu. Neshataeva. Response of Plant Cover of Tundra Ecosystems to Oil-and-GasExtraction Development; O.V. Lavrinenko, I.A. Lavrinenko, B.I. Gruzdev.
* III: Large Scale Socio-Economic Dynamics. Large Scale Economic and Social Dynamics; R.O. Rasmussen. Planning for the Impacts of Megaprojects; K. Storey, L.C. Hamilton. Labor Market Perspectives on Resource Development; R.O. Rasmussen. Macroeconomic Analysis of the Open Trade Economy and the Greenland Economy; G. Winther. Mining Activities: The Human Working Environment; W. Ruth. Abandoned Mining Exploration Equipment in Nunavik; G. Duhaime, R. Comtois. Regional Climate Change and Adaptation Capacity; O. Udovyk. Nuclear Risk and Vulnerability; A.A. Baklanov.
* IV: Local Community Socio-Economic Dynamics. Local Social and Cultural Dynamics; L. Riabova. Tourism Impacts; D. Tommasini. Impacts on Indigenous Populations; J. Robert-Lamblin. Social Capital and Community Capacity Building; L. Riabova, U.D. Skaptadóttir. Surviving the Oil Age; T. Tuisku. Methods for Native Land Use and Occupancy (Luo) Research; P. Charest. Methodology of Social Impact Follow-up Modeling; C. Cagnon. Community Involvement; L. Riabova, H. Myers, D. Dreyer.
* List of Contributors. Subject Index.
Future development in the Arctic and Subarctic region requires careful attention to the possible consequences of the development activities themselves, in relation to their environmental, socioeconomic and cultural impacts. A more thorough understanding of the impact of future activities, however, demands the dissemination and confrontation of results from different regions and different scientific traditions. This requires scientific cooperation, not only across disciplines but across border. Primarily it requires both consensus and innovations in regard to methods. This book confronts such differences in approaches and methods in relation to the analysis of socioeconomic and environmental consequences of large-scale mineral and energy development activities in the Arctic and Subarctic, establishing the common ground upon which future research activities can be based.
Springer Book Archives