High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles! Croton Dam is a dam and powerplant complex on the Muskegon River in Croton Township, Newaygo County, Michigan. It was built in 1907 under the direction of William D. Fargo by the Grand Rapids - Muskegon Power Company, a predecessor of Consumers Energy. The 40-foot-high dam impounds 7.2 billion U.S. gallons of water in its 1,209-acre reservoir and is capable of producing 8850 kilowatts at peak outflow. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The history of the Croton dam is intertwined with the history of William A. Foote and James B. Foote, brothers from Adrian, Michigan, with a burgeoning electric power empire, along with William G. Fargo, a Jackson-based civil engineer who designed similar hydroelectric plants throughout the Midwest. William A. Foote was a 20-year-old grist mill operator in Adrian, Michigan, in 1884 when, in what was then a common occurrence, he provided space and shaft power from his mill wheel to Thomson - Houston, a local electric utility startup, to light 12 streetlights.